Ignore all of the things this tart and "free" of and imagine the most salty-sweet graham cracker crust, topped with a smooth chocolate custard. It is the perfect treat to share (especially with Valentine's Day around the corner) but it tastes just as good alongside a cup of coffee, having a little solo time. I do hope you try this recipe and let me know what you think! It's currently my favorite dessert I've concocted lately.
CHOCOLATE CUSTARD TART
1/2 CUP COCONUT FLOUR
2 TBSP ARROWROOT STARCH
1/2 CUP PALM SHORTENING
1/4 TSP VANILLAMAX [OR 1 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT]
1 1/2 TSP CINNAMON
2 TBSP LAKANTO MONKFRUIT SWEETENER [OR MAPLE SYRUP]
1/4 TSP SEA SALT
4 TBSP WATER
- ADD ALL INGREDIENTS TOGETHER, AND EITHER PULSE IN A FOOD PROCESSOR OR USE A SILICON SPATULA TO WORK EVERYTHING TOGETHER UNTIL A DOUGH FORMS.
- GREASE A TART PAN WITH PALM SHORTENING. I ALSO LINE THE BOTTOM WITH PARCHMENT PAPER, WHICH I TRACE AND CUT TO FIT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAN.
- USE YOUR HANDS TO PRESS THE DOUGH INTO THE PAN UNTIL IT HITS THE SIDES. USE A FLAT GLASS COVERED WITH PLASTIC WRAP TO ENSURE THE CRUST IS THE SAME THICKNESS THROUGHOUT.
- PRICK THE BOTTOM OF THE CRUST WITH A FORK.
- BAKE ON 350 DEGREES F FOR 12 MINUTES. LET IT COOL FOR AT LEAST 20 MINUTES BEFORE ADDING THE FILLING.
THE CHOCOLATE CUSTARD
1/4 CUP MAPLE SYRUP
1 TBSP BRAIN OCTANE OIL (OR EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL)
1/8 TSP SEA SALT
2 TBSP BULLETPROOF COLLAGELATIN
OPTIONAL: 1/4 TSP FINELY GROUND ORGANIC COFFEE
- IN A SMALL SAUCEPAN, COMBINE ALL OF THE INGREDIENTS AND WHISK OVER THE LOWEST HEAT SETTING UNTIL COMPLETELY COMBINED.
- POUR THE MIXTURE INTO THE COOKED, COOLED CRUST, AND REFRIGERATE FOR 2-4 HOURS OR OVERNIGHT.
The crust is crisp, and the perfect balance of spicy cinnamon, salty, and sweet. Chocolate is already one of my favorite foods, but this rich custard just melts in your mouth. This dessert takes almost no time, as long as all the ingredients are stocked in your pantry. It is the perfect treat to serve at the end of a meal, and your guests will never suspect just how anti-inflammatory it is.
This incredible little tart contains gut-healing collagen, protein, healthy fats, and easily digestible carbohydrates that give all the flavor without any post-dessert sugar crashes. I dare you to try it! Let me know how you like it! And if you do make it, always tag your photos with #NMCfood so I can see your creations.