Typically chocolate pots de crème were outside of my ability. I considered the dessert a fancy thing I could never recreate with my dietary restrictions. But then one night after dinner, I started an experiment. I've been using beef gelatin for a while now to thicken things the way eggs do in recipes, and it dawned on me that I could do the same for a rich custard. And that is how this recipe was born.
Combine melted chocolate, milk of your choice (I went with coconut), a sweetener (Lakanto is my current favorite), gelatin to set the mixture (don't worry, this one has no taste), and a pinch of salt. Bada bing! That's it. This is a super quick recipe that only needs some time in the fridge to set. You can make it just before your dinner guests arrive, and it will be ready after the meal. Use any pretty cups or glasses that suit you, and serve it with cocktail spoons to savor every bite.
5 INGREDIENT CHOCOLATE POTS DE CREME (PALEO)
1 13.5 OZ CAN ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM (I USE TRADER JOES OR THRIVE MARKET BRAND)
1 TBSP PASTURED BEEF GELATIN (I USE VITAL PROTEINS)
90 G OF DARK CHOCOLATE (APPROXIMATELY 3 SMALL BARS OF BELVAS RAW, OR 2 BARS OF EATING EVOLVED DARK CHOCOLATE)
A PINCH OF PINK HIMALAYAN SEA SALT
6 G OF LAKANTO GOLDEN MONK FRUIT SWEETENER - 2 PACKETS (OR 1 TSP OF COCONUT SUGAR)
- Chop the chocolate and add to a small saucepan to melt on low heat. Stir frequently to avoid burning. As soon as the chocolate looks glossy, turn off the burner and keep stirring.
- Add the can of coconut milk to the chocolate and whisk it in gently.
- Next, add the gelatin while the mixture is still warm, and whisk is thoroughly so there are no lumps. The warmth of the mixture should melt the gelatin, but if it starts to cool off, turn the burner back on low until well combined.
- Finally, add the sweetener and salt. Taste the mixture to make sure it is to your liking, and add more sweetener if you need.
- Because the gelatin will set quickly, the mixture needs to be poured into the glasses for serving immediately. Ramekins, tiny bowls, demitasse espresso cups, and even small wine glasses work beautifully for this dessert.
- Refrigerate the custard for at least 1 hour before serving.
Serve the pots de creme alongside some espresso or strong coffee for a very indulgent dessert. And if you want to really impress your guests, have homemade whipped cream (or coconut cream), berries, and even chocolate chips at the ready for a more customizeable treat.